23 November, 2011

Lowering cholesterol with milk

She did it. Drinking two glasses of milk daily helped Shaidah Shafie lower her cholesterol level, writes Sushma Veera

“You sure you are up it?” This was one of the questions asked of Shaidah Shafie when she announced that she was taking up the Nestle Omega Plus (NOP) 30 Days Cholesterol Challenge.
“I said yes. And today I am proud to have had the confidence in myself,” says Shaidah, 40, who emerged top winner in the challenge, with a reduction of 38.09 per cent in her cholesterol level. She received RM500 cash and a hamper.
Contestants had to drink two glasses of Nestle Omega Plus (NOP) milk daily, for 30 days, to reduce their cholesterol level. The milk contains ActiCol, a type of plant sterols clinically proven to help lower cholesterol levels.
“I can’t believe I won. I was determined but there was a small part in me that doubted if a big sized person like me will be able to do it,” says the Berita Harian journalist who adds that she was dedicated and disciplined in wanting to be healthy. “I was not looking at winning prizes. It was more for health. I felt that if I could bring down my cholesterol level, I would also be able to lose weight.
Due to work work commitment, she was not able to exercise regularly. “I used to go to the gym but had to put that on hold due to work. So during the challenge, I concentrated on food instead.”
Diligently, she drank two glasses of Nestle Omega Plus milk without fail as required. She also practised healthy eating and did some research on the subject. For example, she uses olive oil in her cooking.
“I reduced my rice intake but had more oats, fruit and vegetable. I like to either stir fry vegetables or make soup or salad. I already had hypertension and diabetes, and I didn’t want to add to it. I knew it was important to manage my cholesterol levels,” she says.
Her biggest challenge? “I love to bake,” she says, smiling sheepishly, adding that she bakes almost every other weekend.
“I enjoy entertaining my friends and I love baking. If it is not a cake, it would be cookies or a pie. And I won’t lie — I eat what I bake even if it’s only a small piece, to satisfy my craving.”

No comments:

Post a Comment